Factsheet on Mumbai – III
Police Personnel Details
A significant gap exists between police personnel who are sanctioned for posts and the actual strength of police officers working in those posts. According to the Praja report on the state of police and law and order in Mumbai, as of March 2017, none of the police departments in Mumbai have reached the sanctioned number of police personnel.
There is a total 22% gap between sanction positions and actual strength of police personnel, meaning there are 2,823 open, sanctioned police positions that have not been filled in all of Mumbai. The regional data for each area within Mumbai also reflects that in addition to the short staffing in certain positions, there is over staffing for other positions. Every locality is understaffed except for North East Mumbai, which has 412 more officers working that the amount sanctioned, and is therefore overstaffed by 15%. Police Sub Inspector is the most commonly overstaffed position ranging from being overstaffed by 24-54%. Meanwhile, Assistant Police Sub Inspector is the most commonly understaffed position ranging from 30-55% understaffed. This under and over staffing may be related to a gap in rehiring after there have been promotions or the tendency of the police to recruit at the Police sub inspector level.
- Overall, they are understaffed by 136 personnel (5% of the sanction numbers).
- Assistant Police Sub Inspector is the most understaffed position, with a 48% gap between sanctioned positions and actual strength of personnel.
- The Police sub Inspector is overstaffed by 38%.
- Overall under staffed by 547 personnel (13% of the sanctioned number).
- Assistant Police Sub Inspector is short staffed by 49%.
- Police Sub Inspector is overstaffed by 24%.
- Overall North East Mummbai is overstaffed, with 412 more personnel sanctioned, amounting to 15% more officers.
- Assistant Police Sub Inspector is short staffed by 30%.
- The Police Sub Inspector and Head Constable levels are overstaffed by 54% and 35% respectively.
- Overall this locality is understaffed by 273 personnel, which amounts to 5%.
- Assistant Police Sub Inspector is short staffed by 39% and Police Naik is short staffed by 21%, while Police Sub Inspector is over staffed by 25%.
- Overall understaffed 76 personnel (2% of the sanctioned positions).
- Assistant Police Sub Inspector is short staffed by 45%.
- Police sub inspector is the most overstaffed position by 38%.
- South Mumbai is the overall most understaffed locality, with 1,605 fewer personnel, or 23%, than the sanctioned amount.
- Assistant Police Sub Inspector is short staffed by 55%, Police Naik by 38% and Head Constable by 26%. Meanwhile Police Sub Inspector is overstaffed by 9%.
Actual Strength of Women in the Police Force (BPRD 2017 report)
- As of January 2017, a total of 5,526 women hold positions of civil police in Mumbai police commissionerate. This forms 8.7% of the sanctioned strength of the civil police in the commissionerate.
- As of January 2017, a total of three women hold positions of armed police in Mumbai police commissionerate.